Monday, May 14, 2012

I'm back!

It's been quiet around here. I've been in the process of moving. I'm finally settled and back at it in the kitchen. I've been having a lot of fun with new recipes! I moved close to some local markets where I've been getting awesome prices on produce. It's the best thing about summer.

Carrot Apple Slaw

2 Apples (I used Pink Lady)
5-6 medium carrots
Juice of 1/2 lemon
10oz Greek Yogurt
2-3tbsp honey
1/2c. chopped nuts
Sprinkle of cinnamon

I peeled the carrots and removed the tops. I chose not to peel the apples, but peel them if you desire. I shredded the apples and carrots together in the food processor. I transferred the shredded mixture into a bowl. Then, I stirred in the lemon juice, Greek yogurt, and honey. I finished it by topping it with cinnamon and chopped walnuts.

Strawberry Buttermilk Muffins


2 1/2c all purpose flour (set aside 1/4 c.)
3/4 c. sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
Zest of 1 lemon
1 c. buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1/2 c. oil
2 c. berries (strawberries)

In one bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together and set aside. Use the remaining 1/4c. flour to coat the berries. In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, vanilla, oil, egg, and lemon zest. Gradually add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Gently fold in berries. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until muffins are golden brown on top.
You can use frozen berries, but your muffins will have to cook longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment